Sunday, September 22, 2019

Quick & Short Review -- "Poonachi" by Perumal Murugan

Poonachi: Or the Story of a Black GoatPoonachi: Or the Story of a Black Goat by Perumal Murugan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This was my first Perumal Murugan book. This one was translated by Kalyan Raman and I’ve got to admit that the book moved me so much that I had to stop for a few minutes every now and then before resuming. Don’t let the title or the cover caption mislead you into thinking this book revolves around animal lives alone. This is a brilliantly written anthropomorphic piece whereby Murugan equates lives of the feminine gender through the characterisation of Poonachi, the goat. With rural India for its setting, Murugan touches upon various concepts of societal stereotypes, political interventions, and survival. This was so captivating that I’m quite glad I didn’t miss this one.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.