The Outsider by Stephen KingMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
That was one hell of a ride on the fast lane. A trifle bumpy, but nevertheless cherishable. I wrack my brains to pin down who the protagonist is: is it Maitland, the exemplary and solid children's league coach with an enviable family, finding himself as the prime suspect of a nerve-chilling gruesome crime? Is it Detective Anderson, the ramrod straight, honest cop that refuses to take the easy way out and doesn't hesitate to retrace his steps when he realizes that there might be more than what meets the eye? Is it Gibney, who makes a late but smashing entry, and is determined to stop the evil whatever it takes?
This is a brilliant treat from King, mixing up a thriller with horror. I love how the pages run fast, and yet remain grounded as much as possible to reality. The Anderson-Jeannie equation was quite endearing and added a much-needed soft flavor to the plot.
This is the first of the Gibney books that I'm reading, but this one got me so hooked that I'm now looking forward to reading the earlier books where King had Gibney solving the puzzle pieces. The next on this list for me is Mr. Mercedes.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.