
TREK by Rand Bishop
Publisher: Weightless Cargo Press (August 20, 2019)
Category: Memoir, Travel, Politics, Culture Tour dates: Oct-Nov, 2019 ISBN: 978-1-7330299-0-2 Available in Print and ebook, 384 pages
Book Review
I was totally glued to the book right from page 1. It kept me hooked not just with its brilliant unique premise but also with its gently moving and awesome narration. When Bishop, at 67, decides to undertake the seemingly impossible task of trekking and hiking all the way from Southern California to Central Oregon Coast, he is riddled not only with physical implications of his knee issues, but also with objections and reprimands from near and dear ones. He is aware that there is no turning back, but he is bent upon pursuing this for one mission: to do something about the meanness he has observed in the nation that he loves with all his heart. Once he starts on his journey with his cart, the PilgrimMobile, as he calls it, it actually dawns that the world isn't as mean as he presumed it was, and there is still warmth and love in humans. I totally loved Bishop's take and portrayal, and the underlying message in the book that all hope is not lost yet. It's a massive feel-good book, and reading about the numerous encounters that Bishop has, and his varied experiences only adds to the loveliness of the narration.I am so glad for having read this book. I'm really thankful to Teddy Rose from Virtual Author Book Tours, the publishers Weightless Cargo Press, and the author Rand Bishop, for gifting me a copy of this book for an honest review.
Description TREK by Rand Bishop
2017, America was turning mean. Heartsick, Rand Bishop couldn’t sit idly by. His action plan, however, had friends and family questioning his sanity. At 67, on bad knees and arthritic feet, with minimal camping experience and zero knowledge of long distance hiking, Rand set out to walk 900-miles, from Southern California to the Central Oregon Coast. How an aging pilgrim managed to survive a 90-day test of will and endurance is only a fraction of this inspiring tale. The newfound hope Rand gained by listening to and interacting with a thousand people from nearly every walk of life is the true heartbeat of the TREK story.Advance Praise TREK by Rand Bishop
“I love this book. I laughed, I cried, I walked down memory lane. I drove a big truck for 12 years, many by myself. I know those roads and my feet hurt just reading about this journey. Thank you, Rand, for sharing your story.”-Nancy B. Thompson, Amazon “The author’s musings on this once in a lifetime adventure make the reader feel as if she is on the trail alongside, experiencing all the emotional highs and lows without getting blisters on her feet. I loved every word; every page; every chapter! TREK is a delightful a book ~ I didn’t want it to end!”-Robyn Taylor-Drake, Amazon “I loved turning to TREK when I couldn’t take the news any longer. It was like I was able to follow along in my worn down tennies — go at the pilgrim’s pace, meet the people he was meeting, see what he was looking at, while feeling the swoosh of trucks zooming by way too close and way too fast. More than a trek, this is a journey of discovery!”-Randall Platt, AmazonExcerpt
JESSE
“I was thinking… maybe I’ve got a peace pilgrim on my hands.”
The raspy voice is jovial and friendly. And, the man’s introductory
statement, referring to the banner on my cart parked
nearby, is undeniably glib.
I’m sitting on a bench at the Coos Bay Tug Boat Pavilion,
reading my paperback, and finishing the remainder of a two-day-old
sandwich. A grinning character is peering over my shoulder.
“Well,” I reply, “I guess you’re right.”
“Mind if I sit down?” he asks, not waiting for an answer. Jesse
is in his late forties, fifties at most. He has a sharp, pointed nose
and a pair of pale-blue, Paul-Newman-neon eyes. A navy-blue
stocking cap is pulled down over his sandy, medium-length shag,
and his ginger beard has, recently it appears, received the worst
weed-whacking in the history of mankind.
“I thought maybe you were fishing for swordfish,” he quips. I’m
pretty sure that’s what he said. His words are extremely slurred. So,
it’s difficult to be exact. The smile, now spreading across his rutted
face, is more maniacal than impish.
“No, actually,” I tell him, suddenly feeling slightly uneasy about
this imposition, “I’m just reading my book.”
“I’m taking a break,” he announces.
“From what?”
“Life,” he clarifies.
“Well, this is life,” I remind him, gesturing out to the expanse
of water in front of us, glittering in the early afternoon sunshine.
“Who’s got all the money?” Jesse demands, as if I must have
the answer. “Everybody’s got more money than us.”
“Is that true?” I respond. I don’t want to argue with the guy.
So, I think it best to reply with a question. It’s clear he’s made the
assumption that, like him, I must be homeless. Exhibits “A” through
“E”: I’m sitting on a bench in a public place in the middle of the
day, next to the cart I push, reading a tattered paperback book,
eating a sandwich that looks like it might have been retrieved
from a dumpster.
“I don’t have any money. Who’s got all the money?” Jesse seems
intent on sticking to this theme. “That seven hundred I get every
month? Don’t go very far… Wooo! A few days later, it’s gone. I just
want my next beer. Where does it go? I have some friends. They
need something, I give it to ’em. How much do I end up with?
Twenty, thirty bucks, maybe.” Jesse laughs. “I just want my next
beer.” He pauses, draws in a breath, exhales, and shakes his head
at what he believes is the sad, unfair truth: “Everybody’s out to
beat the other guy.”
Now I have to disagree. “That,” I tell him, “hasn’t been my
experience.”
“Oh, yeah,” Jesse insists. “It’s true. Everybody’s out to beat the
other guy.” He abruptly jolts to his feet. “Well, thanks for the visit,”
he says, and careens away at a forward-leaning pitch.
I haven’t quite finished reading another paragraph when Jesse
plops back down. “Yeah, there’s life going on out there,” he observes,
now gazing out over the rippling harbor. A pelican tucks its wings
and plunges 40 feet out of the sky into the water. “We’re just sitting
here watching life go by.” After a chuckle, he repeats the same
statement, this time quieter, as if he’s relishing his own wizened
observation. “We’re just sitting here watching life go by.” After a
lengthy pause, he wants to know, “You smoke weed?”
“Nope,” I answer.
“Oh, well, that’s just about all I got for ya. I’m just trying to
get my next beer.”
Having determined there is no mutually beneficial barter to
be struck here, Jesse makes his second and final exit, presumably
to “take a break” somewhere else and continue his quest for that
elusive next beer.
A few minutes later, a pair of police officers stroll down the
boardwalk, eyes peeled for some well-known local character who,
one informs the other, was last seen rummaging through a trash
can near this location. Key words overheard from their interchange
suggest that the person of interest might be challenged with mental-
health issues. I wonder if they might be talking about a fellow
named Jesse, with whom I just had an undeniably odd conversation.
Writing Awards Rand Bishop
First Place Nashville Screenwriting Conference for the original screenplay Tin Roof. Three Star Award The Tennessean.About Rand Bishop
Buy TREK by Rand Bishop
Amazon IndieBoundGiveaway TREK by Rand Bishop
This giveaway is for the winner’s choice of one print or ebook copy of the book. Print is open to the U.S. only and ebook is available worldwide. There will be 3 winners. This giveaway ends November 1, 2019, midnight pacific time. a Rafflecopter giveawayFollow TREK by Rand Bishop Tour
Teddy Rose Book Reviews Plus Oct 7 Kickoff & Interview Miller Amazon Oct 8 Review Lu Ann Rockin' Book Reviews Oct 10 Review & Excerpt Beaten Coffee Barista Oct 14 Review & Excerpt Cathryn Wellner Oct 23 Review & Guest Post Dave Amazon Oct 24 Review Beth Amazon Oct 25 Review Teddy Rose Book Reviews Plus Oct 29 Guest Review Michelle Reading Authors Nov 8 Review Dawn Bound 4 Escape Nov 12 Guest Review Ruth My Devotional Thoughts Nov 15 Review & Excerpt Chuck Amazon Nov 25 Review

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.